Monday, October 1, 2007

My best skill

I have a project to work on this morning, the next step in finishing a screen porch I have been building on the back of my house. I find that it takes more effort to get started on these things than to actually do them. This problem has lead all my life to a problem with procrastination.

I looked into joining a new local Procrastinators Anonymous program to get some help with this. But they keep postponing the first meeting.

The upside of this procrastination thing is that I have watched movies on video and dvd that I would have never had time to see; I have taken marathon naps that would never have been taken and dreamed of places I will never be able to go to.

As I get older I find that I have less energy (what’s up with that) to overcome inertia in getting anything started. And as tasks pile up undone, I get a little depressed because of all the things I need to do, which makes me want to go take a nap.

I have discovered that I do much better with the jobs waiting to be done if I start by making a list on a 3x5 card of about six things. It is easier to do the card, which gives me a run-up on starting the first task on the card. Let’s see, I’m looking for a card. Huuumm!. I don’t see one. I think I’ll go back to bed for a while and see if I can find one there.

What does this have to do with my Christian faith? Nothing I know of. Just that I have meant to relate these things before, but I am just now getting around to it.

No comments: